Summer Ready Lawn Preparation in Anchorage, Alaska.
Some tips to help you have the best lawn on the block.
Winter is almost over and the mowing season is about to begin! For those of you gearing up for the summer, Glaciers Edge Maintenance will make sure you are properly prepared. Below find a simple guideline to preparing and keeping a beautiful healthy lawn. Alaska is considered a cool zone. So how we take care of our lawns is important. Alaska’s northern latitude and resulting cool temperatures can retard the decomposition time of grass clippings. A layer of thatch can accumulate which will stifle new grass growth. In turn, this will increase susceptibility to disease and winter damage.
For more information on specific tasks or services, visit those pages by following the hyperlinked text
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES FOR PREPARING FOR YOUR LAWN:
• It is important to stay off your lawn during break up so it can root and develop turf. During break up, the lawn is susceptible to rutting and compaction.
• Removing gravel is important because it removes the weight from the soil. If you don’t remove it, it will become pressed into the soil and forever change it’s composition.
• Dethatching and/or Aerating once snow and ice have melted is also important.
Aerating: It helps your lawn breathe as well as reduce thatch and water waste
Dethatching: Helps to reduce roots, stems and other debris from your lawn
• Mow your lawn to a nice even length to help remove any debris such as leaves, sticks, and wild seeds that may have fallen throughout the winter.
• Spring is also the best time for performing a Soil Analysis. Doing this will give you more time to correct any deficiencies such as Improper PH Balance, Low Nitrogen, Phosphorous Potassium etc..
• Apply Lyme according to the soil analysis recommendations. If the analysis was not performed, lime can be applied at 10lbs per 1000 sq. ft. annually.
• Apply fertilizer according to the soil analysis. If the analysis was not performed, follow the recommendations on the fertilizer. This will help build a thick root structure that will get your lawn looking great.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WOULD LIKE US TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR LAWN CARE NEEDS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US AT: 907-223-4666